It was 1845 when Vincenzo Ippolito impressed his initials on his farmhouse among olive trees, orange groves and vineyards. In 1930 his grandson Vincenzo, a motivated and ambitious person, decided to bottle Gaglioppo from the “alberello” vineyards in Feudo and Difesa Piana area, and launch his Cirò on the regional market.
With over 160 years of history, Ippolito is the oldest winery in Calabria. Located in the historic centre of Cirò Marina, heart of Calabrian viticulture, the winery includes 250 acres, located on the sunny hills near the Ionian Sea, in the classic Cirò area. Since its foundation the mission has been recovery and valorisation of the indigenous grapes such as Gaglioppo, Greco Bianco, Calabrese and Pecorello. Through constant research and the use of innovative techniques, Ippolito family pursues in their wines elegance, exclusivity and identity with its own territory.
The vineyards area consists of three main estates located in the heart of DOC Cirò: Mancuso, Feudo and Difesa Piana with the total area of about 100 hectares. The training system adopted is mainly the horizontal cordon system. A small part is trained as high “alberello”. The plantation has high density, 5.600 plants per hectare and yields vary from 50 to 80 quintals per hectare. The most important operations in the vineyard are carried out manually and the tillage is reduced to preserve fertility and soil biodiversity. The grapes grown and harvested are 100% native to the true heritage of Calabria: Gaglioppo, Greco Bianco, Calabrese, Pecorello and other..
To learn more about the winery please visit the website www.ippolito1845.it