Azienda Agricola Uggiano
The Uggiano winery is tucked away in the Florentine hills among the monasteries, churches, rustic villas and olive orchards. The Pesa River valley is home to Uggiano after it relocated from its birthplace in the Sonnino Castle of Montespertoli. The vineyards spread over rolling hillsides at an altitude of 250 to 300 meters between the Tuscan villages of Montepertoli, San Casciano, and San Vincenzo a Torri. The vineyards are planted with 90 percent Sangiovese and the other 10 percent Canaiolo. The average yield of the vineyards is 5000 liters per hectare.
The wines of Uggiano are controlled by a staff of oenologists directed by the winery’s owner, Mr. Giuseppe Losapio. Mr. Losapio has a long history of winemaking, beginning with his oenology degree from a prestigious French university, and continuing with more than 35 years making Italian wines. Mr. Losapio focuses on producing wines which possess a lower alcohol content in order to obtain a more fragrant and fruity bouquet.
The Chianti wines such as Chianti Classico, Chianti, Chianti Colli Fiorentini, and Sangiovese are prepared following the traditional Tuscan method. After the fermentation is completed, the finished wines are stored in 2000-3000 litres wooden casks or in stainless steel tanks.
The reserve wines are aged in 225 litres French oak barrels. The staves are produced from oak which comes from the forests of Allier, Vosges, Nevers, and Limousine. The intense Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot wines are aged in new oak, while the Chianti Riserva is aged in second passage barrels in order to retain its delicate fruitful characteristics.
To learn more about Uggiano please visit the winery website www.uggiano.it